About
Jermistry
- title in Elvish

- Xoomij listen
- All about Darjeeling

- Learn Hebrew- start with

- Vineyard Music
- "To You" (me on Irish Whistles)
- "Coogee Day" (JM on Kurzweil)
- NZ photoes
- Tassie photoes
- NY&VA photoes
- Монгол&Сибирь
- Kelong photoes
- Cellgroup Stuff
- James' Grad
- Yunnan Pix
Archives
- ноября 2003
- декабря 2003
- января 2004
- февраля 2004
- марта 2004
- апреля 2004
- мая 2004
- июня 2004
- июля 2004
- августа 2004
- сентября 2004
- октября 2004
- ноября 2004
- декабря 2004
- января 2005
- февраля 2005
- марта 2005
- апреля 2005
- мая 2005
- июня 2005
- июля 2005
- августа 2005
- сентября 2005
- октября 2005
- ноября 2005
- декабря 2005
- января 2006
- февраля 2006
- марта 2006
- апреля 2006
- мая 2006
- июня 2006
- июля 2006
- августа 2006
- сентября 2006
- октября 2006
- ноября 2006
- декабря 2006
- января 2007
- февраля 2007
- марта 2007
- апреля 2007
- мая 2007
- июня 2007
- июля 2007
- августа 2007
- сентября 2007
- октября 2007
- ноября 2007
- декабря 2007
- февраля 2008
speak friend and enter
суббота, мая 27, 2006
Mayhem: End of May
(pre-amble about the weather, in aussie fashion)
(red maple leaves at the sydney botanic gardens)
So now it ends - autumn fades and winter starts. The last time I experienced this was when I was in Mongolia and Siberia for the month of October - warmth and light making one last ditch attempt before fading quickly. But living in a proper city, the weather is almost incidental - just pop indoors where there's almost always some form of heating (annoying to remove your layers, only to pop em on again...). One's almost aghast w the heating (or lack of) in chinese cities, where most commercial buildings are frigid (except the poshest hotels and restaurants and malls), and your breath frosts indoors! I guess providing heat for 1 billion people would be logistically impossible. But yups, I'm thankful for simple stuff like heating, and layers - having said that, Sydney winters are mild by any standards - it was even COLDER in Nongkhai Thailand when I was there last christmas.
(sunset at UNSW)
Anyhoo, back to updates and musings, thus far, i've
- made a furniture fiasco (still to be resolved): make sure your furniture can get through your door!

- had a good friend visit, and had loads of great food and drink and fellowship and prayer. Thank you Paul!
(Ernest Hill - with the Owner's son Jason and wine dog yoshi)
(fresh olive oil and balsamic vinegar for tasting!)
(Aussie fusion food at a new high!)
(hyper-glorified char-siew! Roasted to perfection and melts in mouth!)
(more tastings!)
(in praise to Him who made that which makes the heart glad!)
(booty!)
(pelican sunset over Tuggerah Lake)
(hello paul... aul.. ol... ol...ol..)
(visible thought bubbles)
(three sisters)
(wet autumn day)
(whistler's mom!)
(misty misty misty eyed - travel at LESS than 40 in this sorta conditions)
(me and paul)
(c.f. MC Escher
(Jenolan caves - fabuleux!)
- caught the REAL SSO - the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, a gadzillion times better and worth every cent. Also, the symphony hall at the Opera House has pretty impressive acoustics too! Brahm's Piano Concerto no 2 + Varese + Ravel. Float float float away !
(turtle shells at night)
- had a breakthrough in my research - things are FINALLY moving (thank GOD!), and what alot of things are happening on various fronts. More and more loose ends are coming up, and loads more reading to catch up. The struggle is realizing that as research progresses, exponentially more and more and more issues will crop up, and I've gotta realize that I can't solve them all, and I've gotta live with (hopefully) and equilibrium of finding solutions, understanding issues, and having MORE loose ends... I can only tie a few at a time, and some I'll never resolve. Gotta live w this unsettling for the next coupla years. Grrr. But really, I'm glad for the tiny breakthrough. At least things are now moving, albeit mildly. I'm still figuring out the best method to calibrate my equipment, what other design changes are necessary, and other issues before i can finally make serious measurements - and that's merely the tip of the ice-berg. The mayhem begins!

- did I mention I caught Steven Curtis Chapman in concert? Well, strictly speaking, it wasn't a concert - it was Hillsong's ministry night, a quarterly get-together of the Worship and Creative Arts department (an impressive 2-300 people!), and while it's mostly house-keeping and direction setting for the ministry, Chapman was invited to share, teach some, and lead worship! Quite extrodinary.




- My prof invited us at the lab for a sail on his boat around sydney harbor... interesting experience, speaking in nautical terms!
(LtoR: Emeline - france, Andrew - egypt, Clément -la Guadaloupe, JM - spore/msia, Bettina - germany)
(my prof, aye aye capt'n!)
- Met up w a few old friends who've moved here - one who's married w kid, and another who'll get married later this year. Listening to their life is inspiring, and one see's how God leads pple sovereignly, and His faithfulness. Glad for such fellowship and company. How's not seen each other for 10 years, and popping up? hehehe. But yups, visiting them is great, and finding them in their churches is even more wonderful. And, oh, i've got another friend who's in town these two weeks exploring if to move over here. Hmmm....
- today marked the end of one semester of 12 weeks' lab tutoring! Whew!
(pre-amble about the weather, in aussie fashion)
(red maple leaves at the sydney botanic gardens)So now it ends - autumn fades and winter starts. The last time I experienced this was when I was in Mongolia and Siberia for the month of October - warmth and light making one last ditch attempt before fading quickly. But living in a proper city, the weather is almost incidental - just pop indoors where there's almost always some form of heating (annoying to remove your layers, only to pop em on again...). One's almost aghast w the heating (or lack of) in chinese cities, where most commercial buildings are frigid (except the poshest hotels and restaurants and malls), and your breath frosts indoors! I guess providing heat for 1 billion people would be logistically impossible. But yups, I'm thankful for simple stuff like heating, and layers - having said that, Sydney winters are mild by any standards - it was even COLDER in Nongkhai Thailand when I was there last christmas.
(sunset at UNSW)Anyhoo, back to updates and musings, thus far, i've
- made a furniture fiasco (still to be resolved): make sure your furniture can get through your door!

- had a good friend visit, and had loads of great food and drink and fellowship and prayer. Thank you Paul!
(Ernest Hill - with the Owner's son Jason and wine dog yoshi)
(fresh olive oil and balsamic vinegar for tasting!)
(Aussie fusion food at a new high!)
(hyper-glorified char-siew! Roasted to perfection and melts in mouth!)
(more tastings!)
(in praise to Him who made that which makes the heart glad!)
(booty!)
(pelican sunset over Tuggerah Lake)
(hello paul... aul.. ol... ol...ol..)
(visible thought bubbles)
(three sisters)
(wet autumn day)
(whistler's mom!)
(misty misty misty eyed - travel at LESS than 40 in this sorta conditions)
(me and paul)
(c.f. MC Escher
(Jenolan caves - fabuleux!)- caught the REAL SSO - the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, a gadzillion times better and worth every cent. Also, the symphony hall at the Opera House has pretty impressive acoustics too! Brahm's Piano Concerto no 2 + Varese + Ravel. Float float float away !
(turtle shells at night)- had a breakthrough in my research - things are FINALLY moving (thank GOD!), and what alot of things are happening on various fronts. More and more loose ends are coming up, and loads more reading to catch up. The struggle is realizing that as research progresses, exponentially more and more and more issues will crop up, and I've gotta realize that I can't solve them all, and I've gotta live with (hopefully) and equilibrium of finding solutions, understanding issues, and having MORE loose ends... I can only tie a few at a time, and some I'll never resolve. Gotta live w this unsettling for the next coupla years. Grrr. But really, I'm glad for the tiny breakthrough. At least things are now moving, albeit mildly. I'm still figuring out the best method to calibrate my equipment, what other design changes are necessary, and other issues before i can finally make serious measurements - and that's merely the tip of the ice-berg. The mayhem begins!

- did I mention I caught Steven Curtis Chapman in concert? Well, strictly speaking, it wasn't a concert - it was Hillsong's ministry night, a quarterly get-together of the Worship and Creative Arts department (an impressive 2-300 people!), and while it's mostly house-keeping and direction setting for the ministry, Chapman was invited to share, teach some, and lead worship! Quite extrodinary.




- My prof invited us at the lab for a sail on his boat around sydney harbor... interesting experience, speaking in nautical terms!
(LtoR: Emeline - france, Andrew - egypt, Clément -la Guadaloupe, JM - spore/msia, Bettina - germany)
(my prof, aye aye capt'n!)- Met up w a few old friends who've moved here - one who's married w kid, and another who'll get married later this year. Listening to their life is inspiring, and one see's how God leads pple sovereignly, and His faithfulness. Glad for such fellowship and company. How's not seen each other for 10 years, and popping up? hehehe. But yups, visiting them is great, and finding them in their churches is even more wonderful. And, oh, i've got another friend who's in town these two weeks exploring if to move over here. Hmmm....
- today marked the end of one semester of 12 weeks' lab tutoring! Whew!