<$BlogRSDUrl$>

speak friend and enter

вторник, октября 19, 2004

The Day before Tomorrow

It has been a rather surrendipitious past few days! Praise God!

After church last sunday, I went for an All Mongolian Worship concert. Its an annual event thingy, hi-lighting original mongolian worship songs produced that year. Quite an occasion! There were afew songs written in the traditional style (which I sampled onto MD!) for the Yattak (zither thingy), Moorin Huur (national horsehead fiddle) and Limbe (transverse flute). There were also modern sounding worship songs, including contributions from my music group friends! Pretty neat songs too!


mongol magtaal 2004!

Dugeramaa on the Moriin Huur

Dugeramaa and Friend on the Yattak

Multi-Talented Dugeramaa!

traditional dance in worship context

Bairaa and Band

Maestro Dugeramaa and me!


What was most amazing, is that after the concert, I got to speak with these two coordinators (from OM) for the event... It turns out that they are actually Ethnomusicology Professors from the US... Ethnomusic happens to be exactly the field I'm hoping to study, or at least get greater exposure to... and also on my heart is to see how biblical worship is contextualized in culturally authentic and relevant forms. Got to speak with these two fellas (Frank and Paul), and it wasn't long before I realized that they were the founders of this christian ethnomusic/missions group that goes around and studies and propagates indigenous christian worship music (http://worldofworship.org/)! The thing is, I've been hearing and reading about them for some time now, except there's not much info/networking around, considering that much of their work is in extremely restricted areas... What's more, Paul happens to be the chief editor of the Ethnodoxology Journal- the only academic christian ethnomusic/ethnographic journal on the planet! I've heard about that before, and wondered how on earth to get in touch or get copies from them... And here I am, in the middle of freezing mongolia, on the 2nd floor of a local church, speaking to the very people i've been reading and thinking about!!! That's definitely a GOD thing!


(L to R) Paul, Noeh, Me and Frank over lunch, chatting over ethno, organology, schenkerian analysis and missions.

Spent monday (the next day) at their studios, where they were busy recording the songs and musicians for an album they will release. Quite exciting- I got to meet and speak with local christian musicians, watch them play the yuulchin (dulcimer), moriin huur (fiddle), limbe (flute), amur huur (jew's harp), hoomii (throat sing), and a whole lot of exposure on what is idiomatic mongolian Song, and instrumental accompaniment... Picked up tips on limbe ornamentation. Did some cross cultural thingy when i showed them my tin whistles and irish ornamentation, and then did Amazing Grace in different cultural styles. Finally did my hoomii (Amazing Grace) for a mongolian musician, who seemed rather appreciative (and not offended, as I might have feared).


In the studio with Shiekhe (Hargui) and Paul

Dugeramaa on the Amur Huur (jew's harp)

Ps D. on the Yattak, using the vacuum cleaner as footrest

Next day's recording session with Billy on the console

in the studio with Limbe player

Billy on the Yuulchin

After the studios, I went back to the campus crusade student center and co-led an extended worship time with the students, and had wonderful dinner fellowship with some of the music group student leaders- they stayed over at my place... we chatted, worshipped, and laughed alot! My host happens to be away at a conference this week... Heehee.


Bairaa and gang over at my apartment

Spent today roaming the halls of the music college with my violinist friend Galaa.... He's quite a character there, and a much respected senior. The more time I spend with him, the more amazing he is... Anyhoo, he showed me around (all the teachers know him!) and let me sit in at the lessons- got to sit in at a huurchin (twostring fiddle) lesson, a shaanz (shamisen lookalike) class, an orchestral rehearsal as well as got to meet a moriin huur teacher who performed a short recital for me (which I happily video-ed)! I'm in ethnomusic heaven hahaha... People are really kind and warm here, and I appreciate that. Not quite so stuffy as my impression of post-communist mongolia was. Thank God.


Galaa on the violin playing Sarasate

Olnaa on Ravel's Jeux D'eau

Fast Fingers!

Cellist practicing in the corridors of the college

violinist kid at the music and dance college

A Moriin Huur lesson in progress

Orchestra rehearsal in session. Conductor is the Minister for Culture, filling in for the normal conductor.

Well, tomorrow (20th Oct) I fly to Irkutsk, Siberia- will be chilly and probably dangerous, so please keep me in prayer, and pray for protection, wisdom and a fruitful time. Will be visiting Lake Baikal with a group, and then meet with the Campus Crusade Director for Eastern Russia back in Irkutsk. Will be back in Mongolia on 27th Oct, a week later. Not expecting to get much internet access there...



Sukhbataar on his horse, Sukhbataar Square

That's all for now... God's goodness is really tangible. Бурхан Таыг Увээг!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Shymkent, Kazakhstan Singapore Hobart, Tasmania Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia Irkutsk, Siberia Sydney, New South Wales Austin, Texas Vientiane, Laos Nongkhai, Thailand Sapporo, Japan