About
Jermistry
- title in Elvish

- Xoomij listen
- All about Darjeeling

- Learn Hebrew- start with

- Vineyard Music
- "To You" (me on Irish Whistles)
- "Coogee Day" (JM on Kurzweil)
- NZ photoes
- Tassie photoes
- NY&VA photoes
- Монгол&Сибирь
- Kelong photoes
- Cellgroup Stuff
- James' Grad
- Yunnan Pix
Archives
- ноября 2003
- декабря 2003
- января 2004
- февраля 2004
- марта 2004
- апреля 2004
- мая 2004
- июня 2004
- июля 2004
- августа 2004
- сентября 2004
- октября 2004
- ноября 2004
- декабря 2004
- января 2005
- февраля 2005
- марта 2005
- апреля 2005
- мая 2005
- июня 2005
- июля 2005
- августа 2005
- сентября 2005
- октября 2005
- ноября 2005
- декабря 2005
- января 2006
- февраля 2006
- марта 2006
- апреля 2006
- мая 2006
- июня 2006
- июля 2006
- августа 2006
- сентября 2006
- октября 2006
- ноября 2006
- декабря 2006
- января 2007
- февраля 2007
- марта 2007
- апреля 2007
- мая 2007
- июня 2007
- июля 2007
- августа 2007
- сентября 2007
- октября 2007
- ноября 2007
- декабря 2007
- февраля 2008
speak friend and enter
понедельник, июня 21, 2004
MONDAY MORNING
Its monday morning, on the 21st... I've got exactly 30 full days left to complete and submit my thesis... well, after that i've still got another 4 weeks to hem and haw by, but that's not quite my plan.
I'm not quite sure i've got it all down pat... but at page 48, with over 95 references and still stuck in chapter 2 sounds kinda wrong. I'm not sure. I guess i'll find out at the end of the whole business... I may have to shift some literature survey to the discussion section, to trim chapter 2 down abit. Argh. Help!
And i've been dreaming of figures and equations... its haunting my waking and subconscious moments.
I guess i should start a series of entries entitled
"weird facts from my research"
did you know that
1. in 1636, Galileo clearly explained the relation between pitch and the frequency of vibrations of a string; at the same time (1636) and independently, churchman Mersenne related pitch to the actual number of vibrations per second.
2. up until about 50 years ago, violins, guitar and harps all used catgut for strings. While not really made from cat guts (its too short!), sheep guts were used, sliced up, wound together while wet, and held stretched under tension for several days to dry. They were really expensive and had a limited life, and probably smelled.
3. up til now, no one really understands HOW our ears and brain perceive sound- high and low pitches, pitch discrimination, picking out voices in a crowd, etc. The generally acceptable hypothesis is that fine hairs in our ears are responsible for frequency discrimination.
Its monday morning, on the 21st... I've got exactly 30 full days left to complete and submit my thesis... well, after that i've still got another 4 weeks to hem and haw by, but that's not quite my plan.
I'm not quite sure i've got it all down pat... but at page 48, with over 95 references and still stuck in chapter 2 sounds kinda wrong. I'm not sure. I guess i'll find out at the end of the whole business... I may have to shift some literature survey to the discussion section, to trim chapter 2 down abit. Argh. Help!
And i've been dreaming of figures and equations... its haunting my waking and subconscious moments.
I guess i should start a series of entries entitled
"weird facts from my research"
did you know that
1. in 1636, Galileo clearly explained the relation between pitch and the frequency of vibrations of a string; at the same time (1636) and independently, churchman Mersenne related pitch to the actual number of vibrations per second.
2. up until about 50 years ago, violins, guitar and harps all used catgut for strings. While not really made from cat guts (its too short!), sheep guts were used, sliced up, wound together while wet, and held stretched under tension for several days to dry. They were really expensive and had a limited life, and probably smelled.
3. up til now, no one really understands HOW our ears and brain perceive sound- high and low pitches, pitch discrimination, picking out voices in a crowd, etc. The generally acceptable hypothesis is that fine hairs in our ears are responsible for frequency discrimination.