<$BlogRSDUrl$>

speak friend and enter

суббота, апреля 10, 2004

Trans-Siberian Crane

Its weird, but yesterday waiting for the bus at nus, I saw one of those migratory storks- the white, beautiful, slim birds you'd see around in singapore this time of the year by the herds, and it was happily pecking away in the grass catching insects and stuff.

Suddenly I realized that they fly from siberia to the equator and back every year!!! That's a distance of over 10000km one way!

And I'm thinking these birds must have seen alot in their lifetime- alot of human destruction and encroachment of their environment and stuff; And they're all somehow still adapting to us, like, they'd still happily flock through s'pore in all its urban glory...

Lets see: First from the arctic tundra/taiga in the summer, (where they roost, have babies and stuff) they fly south in autumn, passing firstly through manchuria, then mongolia, then northen china (beijing, tianjin, heilongjiang), then east cost of china (shanghai) then south china (fujian, guangdong, KH, macau), vietnam, cambodia, thailand, malaysia, s'pore, indonesia where they spend winter happily in the tropics... and then fly back home again in time for summer, just to have kids.

Its quite an amazing experience at any rate! And I wished for a moment that I should like to try and follow them somehow on their amazing journey.

And how their tiny wings could carry them such great distances... I wouldn't even dream of walking to KL.

Yar... exactly... hmm I wonder how high they fly at, how often they stop, and if they fly together in definite family groups.

haha... sure some die, get eaten, hunted and roasted... yum!

Another amazing thing is, by autumn, the chicks are all grown and ready to start their first migratory trip!! (thats six months old max!)

It's amazing, especially more so, if you believe there's order, timeliness and direction to creation! That God should even devise such a mind boggling thing. The birds themselves are just happy to live out the miracle they've been created for.

So, for a split second, at the bus stop, on a sweltering mundane afternoon, waiting for a bus that took ages, I was just absolutely transfixed! Awe at such a design; Wonder at such beauty, yet harshness.


I said, "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest-
I would flee far away
and stay in the desert;
Selah
I would hurry to my place of shelter,
far from the tempest and storm."
Psalm 55: 6-8

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Shymkent, Kazakhstan Singapore Hobart, Tasmania Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia Irkutsk, Siberia Sydney, New South Wales Austin, Texas Vientiane, Laos Nongkhai, Thailand Sapporo, Japan